Hsiao-Ron Cheng is a Taiwanese illustrator best known for her ethereal, surrealistic works of pastel-colored art that often depict floral motifs.
I often imagine our emotions as plants: they extend like any organic object; they grow and wither. Covering the face with flowers is a way to express the emotion, we can feel it even if we can’t see…
Interview with Hsiao-Ron Cheng (translated)
1) How did you get started as an artist?
我從小就喜歡畫畫，大學畢業後有了正職工作，但做的不開心，一直到 2012年決定當 freelancer，為自己看喜歡我作品的客戶畫畫。
I’ve liked to draw since a very young age. After I graduated from college, I had a full-time job, but I didn’t like the job. It wasn’t until 2012 that I decided to become a freelancer, to draw for the customers who appreciate my works.
2) What’s the best advice you’ve received as an artist?
Patience. Be patient about your work, and patiently wait for the work to mature.
3) On your website is says that your “aim is to create more complex worlds with complicated stories of childlike and cruel creatures, showing different kinds of the fragile and oppressive anima in life.” Why did you choose this theme?
It’s my own preference. I dream a lot when I sleep. I always have all sorts weird dreams. Although I don’t necessarily want to draw all of them, I always think those dreams somehow have a great influence on my works.
4) What are your current, long-term goals in your career or in general?
I don’t have any long-term goals. I just want to continue drawing and fulfill my life.
5) Why do you use so many flowers in your work? And why are they always concealing faces?
I really like drawing girls and flowers. Drawing both things together makes me very happy. I often imagine our emotions as plants: they extend like any organic object; they grow and wither. Covering the face with flowers is a way to express the emotion, we can feel it even if we can’t see the facial expression.
1228 Notes/ Hide
- noctivagantdust likes this
- krispiekim reblogged this from ridiculouslyrachel
- krispiekim likes this
- ridiculouslyrachel reblogged this from artandcetera
- phantomah reblogged this from artandcetera
- thatmandokid reblogged this from thatmandokid
- efectosdelte likes this
- darkburgandy reblogged this from artandcetera
- o-ali-help likes this
- joanneweedon reblogged this from artandcetera
- dubstependerfox reblogged this from artandcetera
- dubstependerfox likes this
- necrophade likes this
- moloosh reblogged this from sharksylph
- yazawan2 likes this
- ohhsummerwine reblogged this from artandcetera
- misskauntk likes this
- whererabbitsgowild reblogged this from moggwai
- karmaaccomplished likes this
- 4wkward-turtle reblogged this from littlepinkkittenlingerie
- inwardlycringing reblogged this from artandcetera
- dixinmyass reblogged this from pponies
- lilpea reblogged this from zabimaruke
- inahvillostas likes this
- tigerpaw07 reblogged this from wilddeeratdawn
- tigerpaw07 likes this
- angiescardenas reblogged this from amarantavf
- educateyourmindandsoul likes this
- orangecanary18 likes this
- tintinhufflepuff likes this
- vacant-notes likes this
- welcomehomeastronaut reblogged this from thispageisahorcrux
- toastonkittens reblogged this from oliboobs
- sadworldinsideofme reblogged this from artandcetera
- scintigram likes this
- day2daywithporcelain likes this
- supernatchan reblogged this from coolbluereason
- actoons reblogged this from supersaiyantrash
- nay-neko-chan reblogged this from miyozuzu
- wekizzy reblogged this from artandcetera
- wekizzy likes this
- theherooftoday reblogged this from dat-gay-senpai
- kelysian reblogged this from alilhomo
- paula-lemonade likes this
- starlythe reblogged this from littlepinkkittenlingerie
- post-person reblogged this from sya-hirah
- post-person likes this
- sya-hirah reblogged this from nettler
- zany77 reblogged this from kaworulikesshinji
- severalturkeys likes this